Welcome to Sparks Auctions’ Sale 38. This is a very exciting sale for us and holds a wide variety of material from just over 90 consignors. We have never had so many consignments on hand at one time, and recommend that if you would like to consign for one of our future sales to contact us as soon as possible to have your material included in a 2022 auction.
At Sparks Auctions we consider our consignors’ property to be of the utmost importance. Our aim is first and foremost to make sure every consignment, whether it be a single stamp or several cartons, obtain the highest realisations. Our judicious lotting, descriptions, numerous high quality scans and realisations speak for themselves. This is why we are receiving more and more consignments, not only from estates, but also from collectors directly; each consignor considers it very important that their treasures be handled in the most professional and lucrative way.
This is the last of four sales we have planned for 2021, and we are certain there will be something in it for everyone. The many interesting items offered in this sale include:
• The first part of an interesting collection of early Canadian mint multiples
• Nice collection of South African stamps and postal history from an old estate
• Nice collection of mint plus used British West Indies
• Our usual great offerings of worldwide country collections
• Many topical and thematic offerings, some quite extensive
• Another installment of the Jan van der Ven Canadian First Day Cover collection
• Another installment of the stock of a retired postal history dealer
• Collection of Canadian foreign airmail destination covers from the WWII period in several lots
• A superb quality and extensive mint collection of Canada and British Commonwealth broken up in several lots
• Material from the personal files of retired Canada Post designer, Bernard J. Reilander
• Dealer stock galore.
All of our sales are conducted in Canadian dollars, and our buyer’s premium remains at an industry low of 17%. Please visit StampAuctionNetwork.com to view the sale and place your bids, both before the sale begins and live during the auction. Our online images include many thousands of high quality scans.
Enjoy the sale!
P.S. Would you like to work with the Sparks Auctions team? We are seeking knowledgeable lotters to join us. Contact General Manager Peter MacDonald (firstname.lastname@example.org) to express your interest, or see this page for more information.
Lot 734 Newfoundland #145/170 group of covers franked with the 1928 and 1929-31 Pictorial issues, with 47 covers in all, with most denominations up to the 15c (no 6c, 8c, 12c). We note a good variety of rates and usages including several single use, a great variety of postmarks including many small towns, many registered, a few first flights, corner card covers and more. Overall fine or better, with the odd fault here and there. All covers are scanned online. Estimate $250, sold for C$550.00 plus 17% buyer’s premium.
Lot 489 Canada #EN8, etc. 3c QV Postal Stationery Envelope with Northwest Rebellion of 1885 Private Print, #EN8 envelope has an illustrated corner card showing Louis Riel on horseback, as well as Gabriel Dumont and Big Bear plus others. Produced by Henry Hechler, who served in the 63 Rifles during the Riel Rebellion campaign. Very fine. Accompanied by a 1934 Riel Manitoba cover, a 1970 Louis Riel issue FDC with Cole cachet and another with a Jackson cachet and one with an Elliott-Marion cachet, a picture postcard mailed in 1910 depicting Gabriel Dumont holding a rifle, as well as two Winnipeg Philatelic Society 1969 exhibition items commemorating the Riel House and Riel stamp essay. A nice lot to further enhance into a thematic collection. Estimate $150, sold for C$350.00 plus 17% buyer’s premium.