Brant County Postmarks and Cancels to 1930
Straddling a long stretch of the Grand River, which runs from Lake Erie northwestward toward Lake Huron, Ontario's Brant County lies between Caledonia and Hamilton on the east and Woodstock and London on the southwest. The village, town and then city of Brantford began to develop in 1788 with the establishment of a Mohawk Village on the Grand River. Growth of the region continued with the building of roads from Dundas to Paris and Hamilton to London, and the subsequent arrival of the Grand Trunk Railway in 1854. Bob Anderson's Brant County Postmarks and Cancels to 1930 uses postmarks and covers to illustrate the postal history of the many towns and villages that grew up, and occasionally disappeared, in the county.
Bob Anderson started collecting stamps when he was about 9 years old, stopped shortly after entering high school, and reconnected with stamp collecting later in life. After graduation from McMaster University in 1970 he started work in the Information Systems field. He retired in 2012 after a 42-year career, the last 26 years with the City of Hamilton. Bob's collecting interests include Brant County postal history, Canadian stamps, Canada's Queen Elizabeth II postal rates and Scottish postal history, particularly the northern islands of Orkney and Shetland. He is a member of the Brantford Stamp Club, having held a number of positions on the Club executive, including three terms as President. In addition to BNAPS he is also a member of the Royal Philatelic Society of Canada, the Postal History Society of Canada), the Canadian Philatelic Society of Great Britain and the Philatelic Specialists Society of Canada. He has been judging at the Regional level since 2004 and at the National level since 2006.